Saturday, October 9, 2010

I live near Phoenix where we have a savory blend of Southwestern and Mexican foods. Ole!

2/23/09 · Reply

  1. gtally Man, MadMadMargo, you've made me hungry for guacamole and a margarita just looking at that!
    2/23/09

  2. MadMadMargo I'm surprised you didn't list Palisade peaches or Olathe corn. Those are my favorites from your area and why I travel to the western slope every August.
    2/23/09

  3. gtally Oh no, I'd never ever ever slight Palisade peaches. They'd run me out of town or something! I made the obligatory mention in the header. But you're absolutely right, MeMe, Olathe sweet corn is amazing!
    2/23/09

  4. MadMadMargo Oops, I overlooked that mention. I call 'em bend-overs, you have to bend over to eat 'em to keep the juice off your clothes.
    2/23/09

  5. gtally There's nothing better than a Palisade peach pie or Palisade peach cobbler. We buy them by the box-full and slice and freeze them so we can eat Palisade peaches all year.
    2/23/09

  6. busylizzy Yummies!
    2/24/09

  7. gtally By the way, MeMe, our head housekeeper at the hotel makes homemade tamales for special occasions and birthdays, and brings in a Mexican birthday cake with the jelly and cream filling. They are both to die for! After you've eaten one of her tamales, restaurant tamales taste like rocks in your mouth...
    2/24/09

  8. carrinepretty wow.. im craving for it.. hahahaha
    2/25/09

LynneaUrania In Southern California we have various cuisines. My favorite is the veggie cuisine taught to me by the Seventh-day Adventists at Loma Linda who in turn have subcuisines of their own. Even though I am no longer affiliated with the Seventh-day Adventists, I still prefer that way of cooking.

The most famous foods in this area is probably VegiLinks. Do I use them? Hardly. They don't go well with me. But here's an approach to tofu out of Loma Linda that I think is superb:

1 block of firm tofu
1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1/2 onion chopped
1/4 cup brewer's yeast
1/8 cup tumeric
2 tablespoons oregano
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons parsley
1/8 cup olive oil
1/4 cup soy sauce

Sautee the onions and garlic till soft. Add tofu and soy sauce, then the herbs. Break up the tofu into the soy sauce and tumeric. The tumeric turns the tofu yellow like scrambled eggs and yet isn't eggy. Break and stir thoroughly. Add mushrooms and serve.

This goes great with unleavened flatbread or homemade bread of any kind. I like it with avocado or bell pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment